Parenting : On Anger, Filtering Words and Actions.

8:01 AM Ghettomomma 0 Comments

Sometimes, I envy children for being able to express themselves freely in words and in actions. When they haven't learned to filter themselves, to put a mask on.
Sometimes, I wonder why we teach them to. 

It brings me back to times when my now 10 year old would come home and cry and be so angry with other kids. I would ask him what he'd like to do. He would respond saying that he would like to punch the kids in the face. He would tell me how angry he is. 

I would stay with him and let him cry, let him scream his anger out, and he would. You could feel his pain and his anger with his screams, and I would be so angry at these kids that I would like to go out there myself and punch their faces. 

But that's not what we do. That's not what we were taught as kids. & That's not what we're gonna teach our kids. 

Yesterday, I was in the same situation as my 10 year old was. I was so angry. I wanted to hurt people for taking out hurtful words towards my child. 

I screamed and cried like a 10 year old. & then I am reminded of the things that I tell my children.

Being angry won't change the situation. Being angry won't make you a better person. You are better than that. 

& Let go. 



I blame my parents for being the nicest people in the planet. For raising me in this way. 
For teaching me to filter my words and actions. If it won't benefit or build up, they are not worth your energy and time. 

I don't know if it's a good or a bad thing. But I believe in the good and I believe that people do not mean or intend to hurt other people. 

& if this is what I would like to teach my children, this is how I'm ought to live by. 

Struggling with a heavy heart, I'll leave you with this. 

“It's not our job to toughen our children up to face a cruel and heartless world. It's our job to raise children who will make the world a little less cruel and heartless.” -L.R. Knost

xoxo, 
GhettoMomma

0 comments: